What is 'Communicative English'?

Communicative English 1 is one of the courses offered by Department of General Studies at polytechnics in Malaysia. This course focuses on speaking skills especially in developing the ability to communicate effectively and confidently. It is designed to provide students with useful expressions that can be used in a wide variety of social interactions and situations. It also provides students with an opportunity to initiate and participate in group discussion.

Kindly find the topics in the archive on the right side of this page. It might not be a reader-friendly page as this is my first attempt...(",)! Don't hesitate to ask questions, make comments as well as suggestions. Thank you and happy reading! ^_^

Thursday 23 June 2011

MAKING SUGGESTIONS AND COUNTER SUGGESTIONS

In this topic, you will learn how to make suggestions and counter suggestions.  Let’s start the lesson! 

MAKING SUGGESTIONS

There are a number of expressions used when making suggestions. Here are some of the most common:

Why don't you / we go to the movies tonight?
You / we could visit New York while you're / we're there.
Let's go to the travel agent's this afternoon to book our ticket.
What about asking your brother for help?
How about going to Hawaii for your vacation?
I suggest you / we take all the factors into consideration before we decide.

How to construct?

Formula
Verb Form
Why don't you / we go to a movie?
Use the base form of the verb in a question
We / You could go to a movie.
Use the base form of the verb in a statement
Let's go to a movie.
Use the base form of the verb with 'let's'
What about going to a movie?
Use the '-ing' form of the verb in a question
How about going to a movie?
Use the '-ing' form of the verb in a question
I suggest you / we go to a movie.
Use suggest object verb in the base form in a statement.

COUNTER-SUGGESTIONS

We counter a suggestion when we disagree to someone or when we want to give other suggestions.  Here are a number of useful phrases used when disagreeing or expressing another opinion. 
I wouldn't do that. I would...
But if we...
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you.
Don't get me wrong, ...
Even so, if...
Don't forget that...
Very true, but...

Examples:

1. I wouldn't do that. I'd speak to the teacher first and see what she says.
2. But if we don't make those investments, we'll risk losing market share.
3. Don't get me wrong, I just think we should look at some other options before making a decision.
4. Even so, if we change classes this late, we might not get a passing grade.
5. Don't forget that we you still need to finish all your homework BEFORE you can do that.
6. Very true, but we still need to get the garden in shape before building a new deck.

GIVING ADVICE


There are occasions where we give advice instead of suggestions.  There are a number of formulas used when giving advice. Here are some of the most common:

I don't think you should work so hard.
You ought to work less.
You ought not to work so hard.
If I were you, I'd work less.
If I were in your position, I'd work less.
If I were in your shoes, I'd work less.
You had better work less.
You shouldn't work so hard.
Whatever you do, don't work so hard.

Example of making suggestions and counter suggestions.

What shall we do?

  1. Hi Shukri, would you like to do something with me this weekend?
  2. Sure. What shall we do?

  1. I don't know. Do you have any ideas?
  2. Why don't we see a film?

  1. That's sounds good to me. Which film shall we see?
  2. Let's see "Too Fast Too Furious 5".

  1. I'd rather not. I don't like violent films. How about going to "Kung Fu Panda 2"? I hear it's quite a funny film.
  2. OK. Let's go see that. When is it on?

  1. It's on at 8 o'clock at the TGV. Shall we have a bite to eat before the film?
  2. Sure, that sounds great. What about going to 'Mc’D'?

  1. Great idea! Let's meet there at six.
  2. OK. I'll see you at 'Mc’D' at six. Bye.

  1. Bye.

Note: 'Shall we', 'Let's', 'Why don't we' are all followed by the base form of the verb ('go' in the examples), 'How about' and 'What about' are followed by the '-ing' form of the verb 'going' in the examples.

CONVERSATION PRACTICE

With a partner, practice making suggestions in the following situations:

1. Help your partner decide which item to buy.
2. Warn your partner against doing something.
3. Suggest that your partner change his/her plans.
4. Help your partner make up his/her mind.
5. Suggest doing an activity together.

Sample conversations:

A: Should I buy the Porsche or the Ferrari?
B: I think you should buy the Ferrari.
A: Why is that?
B: Because I'd like to borrow it.

A: Why don't you give Daphne a call?
B: Good idea. I haven't seen her for awhile.
A: Maybe you should ask her out.
B: Hmmm. I'll think about it.



Group Work Activity!

Aim: Building reading comprehension and advice giving skills / focus on modal verb 'should' and modal verbs of deduction

Activity: Reading about teenage problems followed by group work

Outline: 
1.  Start off the lesson by asking students to suggest what type of problems teenagers typically may have. 
2. Use one of the problems mentioned and inductively review modal verbs of deduction by asking questions such as, "What must have happened to the boy?", "Do you think he might have lied to his parents?", etc. 
3. Ask students for advice on what the person should do (reviewing the modal verb 'should'). 
4. Have students get into small groups (four or five students). 
5. Distribute the handout with the various teen problems taken from real life. Assign one (or two) situations to each group. 
6. Have the students answer the questions as a group. Ask students to use the same forms as given in the questions (i.e. "What might he have thought? - ANSWER: He might have thought it was too difficult.")  
7. Students should then use the sheet to report back to the class actively using the modal verb 'should' to give advice.  
8. As a follow-up exercise or homework:
    -          Ask students to write about a problem they have had.
    -          Students should not write their names on their short problem description
    -          Distribute the problems to other students
    -          Have students answer the questions about the situation described by on of their classmates
    -          Ask students to verbally give recommendations

    Teenage Problems - Giving Advice

    Questionnaire: Read your situation and then answer the following questions
    1.     
    1.    1. What might the relationship be between the person and his / her parents?
    1. How must he / she feel?
    2. What can't have happened?
    3. Where might he / she live?
    4. Why might he / she have this problem?
    5. What should he / she do? (Give at least 5 suggestions)

    Teenage Problems: Texts

    Should I Marry Him?
    I have been with my Fiance for almost four years, We are going to get married next year but, there are a couple of concerns I have: one is the fact that he never talks about his feelings, he keeps everything inside of him. He sometimes has trouble with expressing his excitement about things also. He never buys me flowers or takes me out to dinner. He says that he doesn't know why, but he never thinks of things like that.
    I don't know if this is a side affect of depression or, maybe, he is sick of me. He says that he loves me and that he wants to marry me. If this is true, what is his problem?

    Female, 19

    For Friendship or Love?
    I'm one of those guys who have "the quite normal" problem: I'm in love with a girl, but I don't know what to do. I have already had a crush on some girls, never with any success, but this is something different. My problem is actually that I'm too cowardly to tell her anything. I know that she likes me and we're very, very good friends. We've known each other for about three years, and our friendship has constantly become better. We often get into quarrels, but we always make up. Another problem is that we often talk about problems with each other, and so I know she is having problems with her boyfriend (who I think is no good for her). We meet almost every day. We always have very much fun together, but is it really so difficult to love someone who has been a good chum to you until now?

    Male, 15

    Please Help me and My Family
    My family don't get along. It's like we all hate each other. It's my mom, me, my two brothers and a sister. I am the oldest. We all have certain problems: My mom wants to quit smoking so she is really stressed out. I am really selfish (I just can't help it). One of my brothers is too bossy. He thinks he is better than the rest of us and that he is the only one who helps my mom. My other brother is kind of abusive and depressed. He always starts fights and he's really spoiled (my mom doesn't yell at him for doing things wrong and when she does, he laughs at her); My sister (who's 7) makes messes and doesn't clean them up. I really want to help because I don't like being upset all of the time and having everyone hate everyone else. Even when we start to get along, someone will say something to upset someone else. Please help me and my family.

    Female, 15

    Hates School
    I hate school. I cannot stand my school so I skip it almost every day. Luckily, I am a smart person and I'm in all of the advanced classes and don't have reputation as a rebel. Only the people who really know me know about my strange feelings. My parents don't care - they don't even mention it if I don't go to school. What I end up doing is sleeping all day and then staying up all night talking to my girlfriend. I get behind in my work and when I try to go back to school I get a bunch of crap from my teachers and friends. I just get so depressed when I think about it. I have given up on trying to go back and now am considering dropping out altogether, but I really don't want to do that because I realize it would ruin my life. I don't want to go back at all but I also don't want it to ruin my life. I am so confused and I have really tried to go back and just can't take it. What should I do? Please help.

    Male, 16

    Refenrences:

    iteslj.org/games/9962.html
    http://esl.about.com/library/grammar/blgr_advice.htm

    No comments:

    Post a Comment